In this age where foods are packed with fats, cholesterol and carbohydrates, it is hard to maintain a good shape. Added to that is the sedentary lifestyle that most of us live. What do you get? An unhealthy and ugly looking body. Going on a diet is one way of getting in shape and maintaining your health. But do you know that there are certain foods that actually suppress your appetite so you do not have to eat more than you have to? Yes, you read it right. If you eat the right kinds of food, you will not have the cravings that you usually have when you do not have your fill. Here are some of the foods that you can eat to reduce, if nor get rid of, your cravings. Read on.
- Water. Although you may not really consider water as a type of food, taking it before and in between meals will surely make you feel full. Water has the ability to fill the stomach and send signals to the brain that it is already full. Before a meal, drink at least a tall glass of water so you only have to eat few. In between meals, drink a glass at least every half hour to keep your hunger at bay until it is time for the next meal.
- Apples. Apples are rich in water so they fill you up immediately. One piece of apple for an afternoon snack will sustain you until the next meal. Always stash an apple in your bag so you can much on it wherever hunger strikes.
- Vegetable salads. Green leafy vegetables, would you believe, make you feel full? They are very rich in nutrients that when you eat a pound of vegetable salad with a light dressing, you can go on without eating for at least two hours. Include lettuce and cabbage in your salad for added nutrients.
- Nuts. Any kind of nut is rich in protein, and they do not pack cholesterol and fats. If you are hungry, grab a small bag of peanuts and much on. Before long you will feel that you are already full. Purchase different kinds of nuts and mix them and store them in zip lock bags and keep them in your bag for emergency snacks.
- Bananas. These fruits are rich in potassium, and eating an average-sized banana for a snack is enough to keep you full for a couple of hours. You can make a salad out of apples and bananas when you are at home and enjoy a delicious and healthy snack without having to worry if eating them will add pounds to your body.
If you really want to get thinner and suppress your appetite, you have to take the above mentioned foods constantly. They do not take effect after just one meal. They have to be eaten continuously to see the desired effect. In every effort to become healthier, it is not wise to think that the steps you take will be enough on the first try. You have to be patient and vigilant in your quest to become a healthier person.